I first tried Lime and Courgette cake around a year ago at a nearby cafe. I enjoyed it so much I couldn’t wait to attempt it myself. I’ve made this bake countless times over the past twelve months and it’s always a hit – airy, moist and full of flavour, I have to stop myself from eating two-three slices on the trot!
I’ve always consulted this recipe when baking my cake. I will advise using full fat cream cheese for your filling, however, or else it’ll end up a bit watery (speaking from experience!) You can also add more or less lime juice depending on how sharp you like it.
I know courgette is an unusual ingredient to put in a dessert, but trust me, it works. Enjoy!
COURGETTE AND LIME CAKE
For the Cake
- 250 g Courgette (grated)
- 225 g Self-Raising Flour
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Eggs
- 125 ml Vegetable Oil
For the Icing
- 175 g Icing Sugar
- 400 g Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Lime Zest
- Handful of Pistachio Nuts (crushed)
Make the Cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C. Separate your egg whites from the yolks and set them to one side. Beat the yolks with the oil and sugar
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into the egg yolk mixture. Stir in the grated courgette and finally, fold in your egg whites
- Divide the mixture into two 21cm cake tins. Bake for 25-30 mins
- When cooked, remove your sponges from their tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool
Make your Icing
- Beat the cream cheese until it's smooth. Then sift in your icing sugar and add your lime juice and zest
- Use around half of your icing to sandwich the two cakes together (level off your bottom sponge with a knife if necessary). Then spread the remaining icing on top
- Decorate with the crushed pistachios
- Pop in the fridge for a few hours to give the icing chance to stiffen slightly. You can eat it straight from the oven, but I always think it tastes best when it's been left to chill for a little while!